The Fresno Fire Department says the leak began around 10 a.m. at Pinsapo and Valdez.
Firefighters say PG&E crews were working on a gas line, when part of it broke, sending gas spewing into the air.
Residents were immediately evacuated to a safe place nearby while crews worked to repair the broken pipe.
"Natural gas is extremely dangerous. If you smell natural gas you need to immediately call 911 and evacuate the area," said Paul Garnier with the Fresno Fire Department.
Neighbors were evacuated from their homes for a couple of hours. No one was injured in the incident.