Cooking Time: 30 min
- 2 sticks (1 cup) butter
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 (16-ounce) box confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small saucepan, combine 2 sticks butter, water, and 1/4 cup cocoa powder; cook over low heat until butter is melted, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and pour into a large heat-resistant bowl to cool. Add flour, granulated sugar, eggs, sour cream, baking soda and salt; beat until well combined then pour into a 10- x 15-inch rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake 25 minutes, or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean; set aside to cool.
- In a small saucepan, make frosting by melting the 1/4 cup butter with milk and the remaining cocoa powder over low heat. Remove from heat and stir in confectioners' sugar and vanilla; mix well then frost cooled cake.
- If you want to fancy this up a bit, sprinkle the frosting with crushed chocolate sandwich cookies, broken-up pieces of your favorite chocolate candy bar, or Texas-sized whole shelled walnuts!