Earlimart fire displaced four families


                  |   Watch Video Above for Extended Coverage   |

The fire happened in Earlimart at 4:30 Friday morning. Most of the roof was destroyed and the inside of the apartments suffered water damage.

Fire officials say thanks to smoke detectors in two of the apartments -- all nine adults and five children got out safely. Tulare County firefighters say old electrical wiring caused the fire.

Capt. Larry Stucker said, "Very dangerous. Tulare County has a lot of older buildings in it and a lot of my fires when I'm actually looking at it they have the old nob and tube wiring."

Anthony Bray with the American Red Cross said, "Most of it is just clothes on their back is what's left and they'll need food clothing and temporary shelter."

The Red Cross was on scene most of the day assisting the displaced residents.

Fire officials estimate the blaze caused more than $55 thousand dollars in damage.

Copyright © 2021 KFSN-TV. All Rights Reserved.