Burned Clovis house used for lesson in safety

CLOVIS, Calif.

"If the occupant hadn't been alerted, the occupant could have died in this fire," said Capt. Gary Sawhill with the Clovis Fire Department.

Saturday firefighters gave neighbors a tour of the woman's home, which burned last Saturday. She was sleeping when the fire started, but a smoke detector woke her up and she managed to get out.

The woman suffered first degree burns and smoke inhalation, but fire crews say the detector saved her life. Now they're hoping others will see just how important it is to have a working smoke alarm.

Damage to the house is estimated at around $250-thousand dollars.

                  |   Watch Video Above for Extended Coverage   |

Copyright © 2021 KFSN-TV. All Rights Reserved.