Discarded cigarette caused a Dinuba apartment fire

DINUBA, Calif.

                  |   Watch Video Above for Extended Coverage   |

It happened on Tuesday afternoon, six units were destroyed and another seven have extensive water and smoke damage.

Fire crews say the sprinkler system inside the complex did not go off. But it was not an issue as the fire was mainly in the attic area, where there are no sprinklers.

Most of the residents did not have renter's insurance and were forced to find a new place to live. Many spent the day trying to salvage what's left of their belongings.

Clara Renteria said, "The beds, clothes, I threw a lot of clothes of away. My grandkids lost all their things."

The Red Cross is still assisting many of those residents

In the video, Action News reporter Stephanie Stone has complete coverage on the story.

Copyright © 2021 KFSN-TV. All Rights Reserved.