Makes: 8 cups
Cooking Time: 25 min
- 4 cups white vinegar
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon pickling spice
- 1 jalapeño pepper, stem and seeds removed
- 2 pounds cucumbers, sliced 1/8-inch thick
- In a large saucepan over high heat, combine vinegar, sugar, pickling spice, and jalapeno pepper . Bring to a boil and add cucumber slices; return to a boil and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool 15 to 20 minutes, or until lukewarm. Place in an airtight glass or plastic container and chill until ready to serve.
We like to use small Kirby cucumbers, but any type of cucumbers work here. And, for really crisp pickles, instead of cooking the cucumbers, just pour the cooked pickling mixture over the cucumber slices in a large heat-proof bowl. Allow to cool slightly, then cover and chill overnight. These should keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.