Cooking Time: 1 hr 45 min
What You'll Need:
- 1 (3- to 4-pound) chicken, cut into quarters
- 4 quarts water
- 3 carrots, cut into chunks
- 3 celery stalks, cut into chunks
- 2 onions, cut into chunks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Chicken base or bouillon cubes to taste, optional (see Notes)
What To Do:
- Rinse chicken under cold running water. Place all ingredients except chicken base (or bouillon cubes) in a soup pot over medium-high heat; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until chicken meat falls off the bones, about 1-1/2 hours. Cool slightly, then separate chicken from bones, discarding bones. Return chicken pieces to soup. Add chicken base or bouillon cubes and stir until completely dissolved.
Notes: If you decide to intensify the flavor of your soup with chicken base, begin with 1 or tablespoons. If you are using chicken bouillon cubes, you can use 2 to 3.