Chilling Time: 8 hr
Cooking Time: 1 hr
What You'll Need:
- 9 cups water, divided
- 3 cups 1-inch chunks peeled watermelon rind (see Tips)
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 3 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- Zest of one orange
What To Do:
- In a large pot over high heat, bring 8 cups water and the watermelon rind to a boil. Boil 15 to 20 minutes, or until rind is fork-tender; drain and return rind to the pot.
- Add remaining water, the carrots, cauliflower, vinegar, sugar, cloves and orange zest; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook 35 to 40 minutes, or until liquid has thickened slightly, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Transfer to an airtight container and chill overnight before serving.
- To prepare watermelon rind for this recipe, cut up a watermelon, separating the sweet pink meat from the white rind. Use a vegetable peeler to peel the green skin off the rind, then cut the rind into 1-inch chunks.