Cooking Time: 1 hr 40 min
What You'll Need:
- 2 small onions, cut into quarters, divided
- 1 cup parsley sprigs, washed
- 1 (4- to 5-pound) whole chicken
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 1/3 cup white wine (optional)
- 6 small red potatoes, cut in half
- 8 ounces baby carrots
What To Do:
- Soak a clay cooking pot and lid in water for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Place half the onion quarters and the parsley in cavity of chicken. Tie the legs together with string and place in pot. Evenly sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper, and thyme. Add wine, if desired, potatoes, carrots, and remaining onion pieces around chicken. Cover pot with lid and place in cold oven.
- Bake at 450 degrees F for 90 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink in center. Carefully remove lid from pot and continue cooking 10 to 15 more minutes for a crisper chicken.