Chilling Time: 2 hr
Cooking Time: 20 min
What You'll Need:
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
- 1 (9-inch) prepared graham cracker pie crust
- 2 cups frozen whipped topping, thawed
What To Do:
- In a medium bowl, mix egg yolk, sugar, flour, and salt with a spoon; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat milk over medium-high heat, but do not boil. Add 1/2 cup heated milk to egg yolk mixture and whisk until most lumps are out. Slowly add egg yolk mixture to remaining heated milk in saucepan; reduce heat to medium-low and cook until thickened, stirring constantly. Add butter and vanilla; stir until well mixed.
- Remove from heat and stir in coconut. Pour into pie crust.
- Chill at least 2 hours, or until set. Top with whipped topping just before serving.
Note: If desired, top the pie with 2 tablespoons toasted coconut. To toast shredded coconut, spread it on a rimmed baking sheet and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven 3 to 5 minutes, or until golden. Watch carefully so it won't burn.