Cooking Time: 30 min
What You'll Need:
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 8 cups chicken broth (see Note)
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups biscuit baking mix (see Note)
- 2/3 cup milk (see Note)
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
What To Do:
- Coat a soup pot with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add celery and carrots; saute 6 minutes, or until tender. Stir in broth, poultry seasoning, and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together biscuit mix and milk until blended. Turn dough out onto a heavily floured surface; roll or pat dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into 1- x 3-inch strips.
- Drop strips one at a time into boiling broth. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 8 to 10 minutes, or until dumplings are cooked through, stirring occasionally. Add chicken and stir until heated through, 3 to 4 additional minutes. Serve immediately.
Note: You can lighten up this Southern classic without sacrificing taste. Substitute low-sodium fat-free chicken broth, reduced-fat biscuit baking mix, and fat-free milk for their regular counterparts.