Quarterback Derek Carr spoke about how excited he and his teammates were to take on the Pac 10 school Saturday, and were very disappointed about the change. But their main concern is the families in Colorado who are suffering and they are now turning their attention to the big game against Boise next Saturday.
It was a very fluid situation on campus. Friday morning the 'Dogs hit the field to practice and prep for the game against the Buffaloes. But the whole time they were working on plays administrators were behind the scenes making many phone calls.
In the end school leaders in Colorado made the decision, Boulder is still designated a national emergency site and said it is just not the right time to hold the game.
Quarterback Derek Carr said disasters like the one in Colorado put everything in perspective, and coach Time Deruyter is using this additional time to focus on Boise next week.
"I can't tell you how fired up we were to play this game. We knew hey, if they let us go obviously there's a safe route obviously there's a safe way to get there and first and foremost this is just a game. The people in boulder are going through a lot right now and our prayers go out to them," Carr said.
"The best lining we can put on it is we have an extra opportunity now to prepare for Boise and that's how we approached our team with it and we ought to jump on Boise right away," Deruyter said.
A Valley fan traveled to Boulder Colorado to watch the game and was disappointed about the postponement of the game.
"I was very disappointed that the 'Dogs weren't going to be here. We are very excited to watch them take on the Buffalos but our hearts go out to the people in boulder with everything going on there," Billy Terrence from Clovis said.
"As a team we are disappointed but our mindset doesn't change and now we have a full week to get ready for Boise," Carr said.
School leaders say before they made the decision to postpone the game they did consider other options such as holding it in Denver and even bringing it to Fresno State, but in the end they decided pushing it back is the best option.
Coach Deruyter says the team will practice for that game starting Sunday. School leaders say the game is being postponed and the next potential date both schools could play against each other is Dec. 7, but school officials are still figuring out the details.