Crews are wrapping up their search. They found the missing man around 5:30 p.m. He is said to be injured but we don't know the extent of his injuries.
Another plumber managed to escape unharmed.
Firefighters used hazmat gear to search for the missing man, who was in an underground tunnel system at the facility. They say that the man was crawling through the tunnels on his own when crews found him.
#UPDATE: SFO PIO now says the plumbers became sick due to fumes released from their cutting device and NOT a CO2 line or tank being ruptured. Also, the plumber may have been injured, but we don't know the extent of his injuries. Full story: https://t.co/TMXxeDLkhS pic.twitter.com/ALXtNRFX2g— Anser Hassan (@AnserHassan) December 23, 2018
Officials say two plumbers were working on an underground plumbing issue at Gate Gourmet, which caters airline food for flights at SFO.
They were cutting concrete when fumes were released from the cutting device they were using. Officials initially thought the fumes were from a ruptured CO2 line.
One of the men passed out and his partner tried to drag him out. But given the tight quarters, he couldn't get him all the way out.
The second plumber came out and called 911.
SFO officials say out of an abundance of caution, they initiated a huge response -- 12 fire trucks, a hazmat team and police. About two hours into their search, they found him and he was transported to the hospital.
#2: Rescue crews were not able to find the man when they went back in because he likely regained consciousness and moved. They can't located him because it is 2 to 3 stories underground and he doesnt have a cell phone or walkie talkie. pic.twitter.com/boQ4It2a12— Anser Hassan (@AnserHassan) December 23, 2018
Officials tell ABC7 News that the air quality underground is safe. No evacuation orders were issued or necessary.
The incident is not impacting any flights at SFO.
#Developing: SFFD and Hazmat Team searching for a plumber who was working on a underground sewage line. He became unconscious after he and his partner ruptured a CO2 line. The partner drag him as far as he could, came out and then called 911. pic.twitter.com/tydR1wOaLD— Anser Hassan (@AnserHassan) December 23, 2018
#3: The incident happened at Gate Gourmet, which caters airline food. pic.twitter.com/FAhBNGkyOr— Anser Hassan (@AnserHassan) December 23, 2018
#4: SFO PIO says out of abundance of caution and not knowing the extent of the problem, they initiated a large response, 12 fire trucks along with SFPD. pic.twitter.com/1iDToCXAq9— Anser Hassan (@AnserHassan) December 23, 2018
#5: I am told air quality underground is now safe. No evacuations orders were issued nor necessary. This incident is also not impacting any flights at SFO. pic.twitter.com/Bi1RollNEj— Anser Hassan (@AnserHassan) December 23, 2018