- 1 Large Eggplant
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 cup Italian Breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cup Ricotta Cheese
- 1 cup Shredded Mozzarella
- 48 oz Favorite Bolognese Sauce
- 1 egg
- 1 TB of water
- 1 package No boil Lasagne noodles
- Vegetable Oil
Preheat oven to 375
1. Slice Eggplant into 1/4 inch slices. Lay sliced eggplant on paper towel & sprinkle generously with salt. Let set for a minimum of 1 hour.
2. Prepare your favorite Marinara Sauce. (Check out ChefShayna.com- "Gussied up Marinara Sauce" for a recipe).
3. Preheat an inch of oil in a heavy bottom skillet over medium-high heat.
4. In a shallow dish mix egg with a little bit of water. In a separate shallow dish mix Breadcrumbs with shredded Parmesan cheese & salt & pepper. Prepare eggplant slices by dipping in egg wash to cover both sides and dredge in breadcrumbs. Carefully lower a few pieces of eggplant into the hot oil. Allow to cook on one side for several minutes and flip to complete frying on the other side. Remove cooked eggplant onto a plate lined with a paper towel. Repeat with the remaining pieces of eggplant.
5. Assemble Lasagne: In a large glass baking dish, coat the bottom with a thin layer of sauce. Next layer the lasagna noodles to cover the sauce. Lay down several slices of the eggplant to cover the noodles. Then spread on the meat sauce followed by ricotta cheese.
Layer on more lasagne noodles, laying them the opposite direction as you did before. Repeat placing on eggplant slices, sauce, and the ricotta. For the last layer add more lasagne noodles and spread on a mixture of the remaining sauce and ricotta cheese together. Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella cheese.
6. Bake in oven for 40 minutes until cheese is melted & golden brown.
Garnish with fresh basil.