Iran live updates: Trump says framework of Iran peace deal to be announced shortly

Earlier, Trump said he read a draft of an Iran peace deal.

ABCNews logo
Last updated: Sunday, May 24, 2026 4:01AM GMT
ABC News Live

President Donald Trump announced "major combat operations" against Iran on Feb. 28, with massive joint U.S.-Israeli strikes targeting military, government and infrastructure sites.

Following the announcement of a two-week ceasefire, initial U.S.-Iran talks in Pakistan in April failed to reach a peace deal.

Trump later announced the open-ended extension of the ceasefire and the continuation of a U.S. blockade until negotiations are concluded "one way or the other."

President Donald Trump said Saturday that a framework for a peace deal with Iran will be announced shortly, including opening the Strait of Hormuz.

ABCNews logo
May 18, 2026, 9:35 PM GMT

Death toll in Lebanon tops 3,000

At least 3,020 people have died in Lebanon and another 9,273 have been injured since the Iran war began, according to the Lebanese Ministry of Health.

Smoke rises following Israeli bombardment on the village of Arnoun in southern Lebanon on May 16, 2026.
Smoke rises following Israeli bombardment on the village of Arnoun in southern Lebanon on May 16, 2026.
ByShannon Kingston ABCNews logo
May 18, 2026, 6:27 PM GMT

National security meeting on Iran planned for Tuesday: Official

President Donald Trump is expected to hold a meeting of his top national security advisors in the Situation Room on Tuesday, according to an administration official familiar with the plans.

The purpose of the meeting is to discuss next steps on Iran and the potential for new military action against the country, the official said.

Over the weekend, Trump met with members of his national security team at his golf club in Virginia to strategize on Iran, the official said, Vice President JD Vance, Secretary of State Marco Rubio, CIA Director John Ratcliffe and Special Envoy Steve Witkoff participated in the meeting, the official said.

ByVictoria Beaule ABCNews logo
May 18, 2026, 9:47 PM GMT

Iran responds to latest US peace proposal, Baghaei says

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei said in a press briefing on Monday that Tehran had responded to the latest American negotiation proposal.

Backdropped by a billboard of Iran's national soccer team, a man holds a portrait of Supreme Leader Ayatollah Mojtaba Khamenei.
Backdropped by a billboard of Iran's national soccer team, a man holds a portrait of Supreme Leader Ayatollah Mojtaba Khamenei.

The mediation process continues through Pakistan, Baghaei told reporters.

"What can be said with certainty is, first of all, that rights are not something we are to negotiate or compromise over," Baghaei said, including Iran's right to enrichment as set out by the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty.

"There is no need for another party to recognize this right for Iran. This right already exists," he added.

ABCNews logo
May 18, 2026, 9:47 PM GMT

Iran 'better get moving, FAST' and make a peace deal, Trump says

President Donald Trump is saying that Iran "better get moving, FAST," warning that "there won't be anything left of them" if they do not comply with his demands and make a peace deal.

"For Iran, the Clock is Ticking, and they better get moving, FAST, or there won't be anything left of them. TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE!," Trump wrote on his social media platform early Sunday afternoon.

The president did not provide a new deadline or timeline for Iran's response, as he has previously.

During an interview in China with Fox News that aired Thursday night, Trump warned that Iran "can make a deal or they get annihilated."

Last week, Trump called the ceasefire with Iran "unbelievably weak" and "a piece of garbage" after he disapproved of their peace deal proposal response.