MERCED, Calif. (KFSN) -- Merced police are calling it a tragedy: a drive-by shooting in the early morning hours took the life of a man. It happened in the 300 block of Eric Court, where the victim was shot multiple times outside his own house.
The neighborhood surrounding Eric Court is relatively safe and quiet, so it made for an unlikely setting for a drive-by shooting that took the life of a 20-year-old man at around 12:30 Friday morning. Police found him lying in the street with multiple gunshot wounds to his upper body. He died later at the hospital.
"For this untimely event to occur to take such a young life, it's a tragedy, and that's something that we never want to occur in our city," said Merced Police Capt. Bimley West. "But it does, it's a part of reality."
Police have not identified the victim, and are still investigating a motive or if the shooting was gang-related. The bottom line: their information is limited right now.
"Our detectives are still knocking on doors, soliciting, asking citizens for their cooperation, but they need to partnership with us in order to solve this because as long as the suspects are at large, the potential of this happening again is very potential," said West.
West says this is Merced's seventh homicide of the year -- the same amount of murders this time last year. The city had 14 total homicides in 2014.
Anyone with information is asked to call the Merced Police Department tip line at (209) 385-4725.
20-year-old man killed in Merced drive-by shooting
More TOP STORIES News