Grease fire damages kitchen in Northwest Fresno

EMBED </>More Videos

Two people are assessing the damage after a late night fire in Northwest Fresno. (KFSN)

Two people are assessing the damage after a late night fire in Northwest Fresno.

The fire broke out just after eleven last night at Pima and Bendel. Fresno fire officials say a pot of oil for cooking was left on the stove. The oil ignited and quickly spread throughout the kitchen.

Authorities say grease fires can be highly dangerous. "Often with a small grease fire, you can put a lid over the burning oil, this was well beyond that, so they realized they needed to get out. Never throw water on a burning grease, it just makes the fire bigger for the moment, and also it will splash back grease on you," said Casey Clark, Fresno Fire Dept. Battalion Chief.

Smoke detectors alerted the people to get out, and no one was injured. The fire caused about $35-thousand in damage.
Related Topics:
firehouse firefresnoFresno - Northwest
(Copyright ©2018 KFSN-TV. All Rights Reserved.)