FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Goshen company said they are issuing a recall for their Western Blend Horse Feed due to possible monensin contamination.
Last week, three horses died and dozens became ill at a Fresno County farm. The horses at Black Fence Farm were suspected of becoming ill from horse feed. The FDA has not yet confirmed if the incidents are related to the recall.
The recall affects LOT 5251, manufactured on September 8, 2015. The feed was distributed to stores in California and Arizona in September 2015. Of the 1,100 bags being recalled, all but 67 bags have already been reclaimed by the company.
According to the FDA, clinical signs of ionophore poisoning in horses vary depending on the dosage ingested, but can include poor appetite and feed refusal of the grain product, diarrhea, weakness, rapid heart rate, labored breathing, decreased exercise tolerance, depression, wobbly gait, colic, sweating, recumbency, and sudden death. The first clinical signs are often noted from 12 to 72 hours after ingesting a toxic dose and the clinical signs may linger up to about 8 days. Permanent cardiac damage is possible in horses which showed adverse effects, but then recovered.
Consumers are urged to examine any bags of Western Blend horse feed purchased in September 2015 to check and see if they have Lot 5251. Any bags with this lot number may be returned to the stores where they were purchased for a full refund.
The voluntary recall comes after notification that several horses who were reported to have consumed the feed being recalled while at the same equine facility have died.
For more information, please call the company at 1-559-302-1062. null
More TOP STORIES News