Woman hospitalized after building catches fire in Southwest Fresno

EMBED </>More Videos

One woman is in the hospital after an outbuilding caught on fire in Southwest Fresno. (KFSN)

One woman is in the hospital after an outbuilding caught on fire in Southwest Fresno.

It happened at a structure near Mayor Avenue and Mariposa Street which officials say the 58-year-old woman was using as a residence.

The woman told fire crews she had emptied an ashtray into a trash can before the flames broke out. She then tried to put the flames out herself -- severely burning her right hand.

Fire officials say if a smoke detector was in the building it could have prevented the amount of damage caused by the fire.

The occupant of the home is now getting treatment in the hospital for those burns.

Fire crews are still on scene determining the exact cause of the fire.
Related Topics:
building fireFresno - Southwest
(Copyright ©2018 KFSN-TV. All Rights Reserved.)