Cooking Time: 10 min
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting biscuits
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease and flour 2 large baking sheets.
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, the salt, baking powder, and sugar. Sift mixture into a medium bowl (see Note). Add vegetable shortening and, with your fingertips, combine ingredients until mixture has the appearance of fine crumbs.
- In a small bowl, combine milk and vanilla; add to flour mixture, stirring until well mixed. Scoop dough by tablespoonfuls and drop onto prepared baking sheets, leaving about 1/2 inch between biscuits. Dust tops with flour.
- Bake biscuits 15 to 18 minutes, until golden. Serve hot.
NOTE: No, it’s not necessary to sift this mixture, but sifting does give better results. You can serve these plain or with butter at dinner, or maybe with jam at breakfast. And why not serve these with fresh or thawed frozen fruit and whipped cream as a special treat?! WOW!