Woman claims e-cigarette exploded in her pocket

KTRK logo
Sunday, April 24, 2016
Woman claims e-cigarette exploded in her pocket
EMBED <>More Videos

WARNING: This video may be disturbing for some viewers.

NEW YORK, NY -- A woman says she was badly burned when an e-cigarette blew up in her pocket.

Katrina Williams, 26, says the explosion was so powerful, the device went flying before getting stuck in the dashboard of her car.

VIDEO: E-cigs could put you at risk for debilitating lung disease

Officials say it was the battery inside the e-cigarette that exploded.

Williams was burned on her leg and her face. Her injuries are extremely graphic, and for some, difficult to see.

See also: E-cigarette may have started car fire

"It was like a firecracker that went off," Williams says. "I was shocked."

Williams is now suing the store she bought the e-cigarette from, and the manufacturer.

The victim's case isn't the first, her attorney says, but an issue that has been seen in other parts of the country.

Williams says she's suing to prevent others from being injured.