Barbeque turns into large house fire in Northwest Fresno

EMBED </>More News Videos

Investigators said a barbeque was left alone for a while when the blaze grew out of control and spread to the overhead deck. (KFSN)

An unattended barbeque is being blamed for a three-alarm house fire in northwest Fresno.

Crews responded to the home around noon Saturday on Cornelia Street near Ashlan Avenue. When they arrived, the fire started to grow in size and was threatening houses nearby.

Because of the heat, firefighters quickly raised the fire to a third alarm and calling in extra crews.

Investigators said a barbeque was left alone for a while when the blaze grew out of control and spread to the overhead deck.

They're now warning everyone to take extra precautions while cooking.

"In this dry warm, warm weather - especially when there's a lot of material around - it doesn't take long for a small flare up on a barbeque to turn into a full-fledged fire," Brian Price with the Fresno Fire Department said.

Two people were displaced as a result of the fire and the Red Cross is now assisting them.

The blaze also caused about $100,000 in damage.
Related Topics:
newsfresnohouse fireFresno - Northwest
(Copyright ©2016 KFSN-TV. All Rights Reserved.)

Load Comments