- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 (15-ounce) can solid pack pumpkin
- 1/2 pound French or Italian bread, sliced thick and torn into large chunks
- Whipped cream, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9" x 13" baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except the bread and whipped cream; whisk until smooth. Add bread and stir until all chunks are evenly moistened. Cover and let soak 4 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Spoon bread mixture into baking dish and bake 1 to 1-1/4 hours, or until set. Let cool slightly, spoon into serving dishes, top with whipped cream, and serve.
You can also bake this recipe in individual ramekins. Just place them on a bakingsheet and reduce baking time to 40 to 45 minutes.