US says it confirmed journalist trial in Iran

April 16, 2009 12:00:00 AM PDT
The State Department says it has confirmed through a third country that an American journalist went on trial in Iran earlier this week and that a verdict is expected soon. State Department spokesman Robert A. Wood told reporters the U.S. believes the spying charges against Roxana Saberi are baseless, and he said Washington is urging the Iranian government to release her.

Wood said the Swiss government, which represents U.S. diplomatic interests in Tehran because Washington has no formal diplomat relations with Iran, had confirmed to the State Department that Saberi was tried this week.

Iran had announced Tuesday that its national security court put Saberi on trial behind closed doors on allegations that she spied for the U.S.

(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

      MORE NATIONAL NEWS | TWEET@ABC30 | FREE ABC30 WIDGET
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sign up for Breaking News Alerts
Breaking News E-Mail Alerts | Text Message Alerts
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
More News on abc30.com
Local | California/State | Weather | Entertainment | Business | Politics | Sports | Health Watch | Consumer Watch | Mr. Food |
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Load Comments