Elderly Fresno woman died preparing Memorial Day feast

FRESNO, Calif.                   |   Watch Video Above for Extended Coverage   |

83-year-old Wilma Jones was well known in the Southwest Fresno community. On Thursday afternoon, flames and smoke destroyed the home where members of Jones' family have lived since the 1950's.

Family members were told by authorities the fire began in the kitchen from a possible grease fire. They say, like any other holiday, Jones was preparing a feast for her visiting family.

Grandson, Khary James said, "She was real excited my mom was coming from the Bay Area so she was cooking a big Memorial Day dinner."

According to family members there were three working smoke detectors inside the home. Officials with the Fresno Fire Department say they found no evidence of smoke detectors, but they could have been destroyed by fire.

Copyright © 2021 KFSN-TV. All Rights Reserved.