Mother believes drinking detergent led to son's death

FRESNO, Calif. The boy's mother spoke to Action News and she believes she knows what caused her son's unexpected death.

Michael Crawford was a playful boy. His mother said she was shocked when her boyfriend woke her up Monday morning with news Michael wasn't breathing.

Days earlier his mother says her son drank some liquid detergent. She believes that led to his death. But police still have many unanswered questions.

Michael Crawford loved watching the cartoon Spongebob Squarepants and playing with trucks. His mother says he was thirsty Friday when he unintentionally drank clear liquid laundry detergent.

"Before that he was fine. He never drank nothing. He thought it was water. He went to the counter and got it off and drank it and I said what'd you drink baby and he said water and he's like the water's nasty and I smelled it and it was laundry detergent," Jennifer Crawford said.

Michael's mother says she called poison control and they told her he would be okay. She says he seemed tired over the weekend and Monday morning woke up at 4 a.m. and got in the bath several times.

Her boyfriend woke her up when Michael was unresponsive hours later.

"I was asleep if I'd have gotten to him in time he'd probably still be alive right now."

His mother says she has been questioned by police about a bump and some bruises on her son. She denies ever mistreating him.

After asked to confirm she never hurt him, Crawford replied, "no, not once. I loved him with all my heart."

Jennifer Crawford has a one month old daughter. Her boyfriend's daughter also lived in the house. Both children have been removed from the home while Michael's death is investigated.

An autopsy was completed late Tuesday afternoon but the cause of death is pending.

Copyright © 2021 KFSN-TV. All Rights Reserved.