- 1 (1-pound) loaf frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar, divided
- 2 cups vegetable shortening
- In a medium bowl, combine bread dough and 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar; mix well. Using your hands, knead sugar into dough. Lightly flour a cutting board and, with a floured rolling pin, roll out dough to an 8" x 20" rectangle. Cut into 2-inch squares.
- In a large deep skillet, heat shortening over medium heat until hot. Add dough squares a few at a time and cook in batches for about 30 seconds per side, or until golden. Drain on a paper towel-lined platter.
- Sprinkle beignets with remaining 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar and serve warm.
Makes about 3-1/2 dozen.
Beignets are traditionally served with chicory coffee or café au lait (a mix of half hot coffee and half scalded milk) but, any way you serve 'em, they're the perfect way to start or end the day