Stanislaus County officials say the man died following several days of triple digit temperatures. Authorities are hoping this serves as a warning that people have to protect themselves in the heat.
Robert Chamberlain lived alone in this trailer home. His death is a tragic reminder of how dangerous the heat can be.
"It was a shock in one way, but it wasn't because, we just we are still kind of numb I think," said Lola Chamberlain.
Chamberlain was 77-years-old. He had a stroke a few years ago, and had limited mobility and got around on a motorized wheelchair. A maintenance man checking on the chamberlain on Tuesday saw that he was unresponsive and on the floor, so he called 911. Firefighters performed CPR, but it was too late.
Stanislaus County officials say his air conditioner was on, but it was not working properly so it was blowing hot air out at over 100 degrees. Neighbors who went to chamberlain's home after he was discovered say the heater was on.
"He probably got disoriented because it was hot and it's a trailer, must have turned heater on instead of A/C. That's what I'm thinking," said the victims neighbor, Vickie Spears.
Since the extreme heat isn't over yet County Officials are urging everyone to check on the elderly, disabled, and others who may be vulnerable to the heat.