FRESNO COUNTY, Calif. (KFSN) -- A 19-year-old man with severe burns was rushed to CRMC by helicopter and straight into surgery after being injured in an explosion at the under-construction Table Mountain Resort and Casino building Monday afternoon.
His family says he has been in the ICU burn unit for hours with burns to his torso and arms.
CAL FIRE Fresno County still can't be sure what led to the explosion but suspects it was gas-related.
"We did have a smell of some sort of propane and gas in there and we did shut off the utilities," says CAL FIRE Fresno Batt. Chief Roger Reins.
Table Mountain workers and construction crews were evacuated from the building. Officials say a sprinkler system prevented the fire from spreading to other parts of the building but left behind thousands of gallons of water.
"Anytime you have a sprinkler activation, there is going to be significant water and that's what we are trying to do right now -- assist with removing the water from the casino and the kitchen," Reins said.
It's still unclear whether the emergency response will delay the opening of the new 600,000 square foot casino and hotel complex. It had been said to be opening early this year, though no official date has been announced.
In the meantime at CRMC, the family of the victim of the explosion is waiting to learn how much of his body has been burned.
His mother says he worked for the company Hobart, which specializes in restaurant equipment. She says the 19-year-old man became a father to a baby boy just two weeks ago.
19-year-old hospitalized after explosion at Table Mountain Casino
More TOP STORIES News