RELATED: Dog rescued from Zogg Fire rides co-pilot with CAL FIRE crew
The four to six-week old orphaned cub was found in Redding by a firefighter who then reached out to authorities who contacted the California Department of Fish and Wildlife Department.
The mountain lion arrived to the Oakland Zoo Wednesday night for treatment.
"We are so grateful for the Oakland Zoo's expertise, world-class facilities and willingness to step up on extremely short notice to help wildlife in need," senior wildlife veterinarian Dr. Deana Clifford said in a statement Thursday.
The male cub, weighing just under four pounds, suffered severe burns to his paws and whiskers and irritation to his eyes, though a veterinarian with the Oakland Zoo said the cub is showing "promising signs" for recovery.
The cub did not suffer damage to his bones or lungs despite the smoke and widespread wildfire in Shasta County.
"We're cautiously optimistic that this cub will now survive and thrive, our dedicated team at Oakland Zoo is fully committed to do everything we can for him and for his beautiful species," Dr. Alex Herman, director of the Oakland Zoo Veterinarian Hospital, said.
The cub is now eating on his own and "acting feisty," which are good signs, the zoo said.
According to the Oakland Zoo, mountain lion cubs usually stay with their mothers for the first two years of life. Since this cub is now orphaned, the zoo said he will be placed in a "suitable forever home" when it comes time to leave the Oakland Zoo.
The Zogg Fire has burned more than 55,000 acres in Northern California's Shasta County and is 26 percent contained.
It is one of dozens of fires burning across California.
Get the latest updates and videos on wildfires burning across the Bay Area here.
App users: For a better experience, click here to view the full map in a new window
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Track wildfires across Bay Area, California with this interactive map
- 'Worst day in the forecast': Bay Area getting hit with smoke, heat, dangerous winds
- What we know about the fires burning in the North Bay
- Map shows wineries, landmarks destroyed by Glass Fire
- LIST: Wildfires prompt evacuation orders & warnings in Napa, Sonoma counties
- Track air quality levels impacted by smoke from wildfires
- Video shows smoke, flames in wine country as Glass Incident, other fires rage
- VIDEO: Enormous plumes of smoke, orange haze from Glass Fire in North Bay
- Video shows massive destruction from North Bay Glass Incident Fire
- WATCH: Staggering footage shows lightning storm that started complex fires
- How to prepare for a wildfire evacuation
- Comparing the 10 biggest wildfires in California history
- Most destructive California wildfires in history
- Camp Fire is deadliest wildfire in California history
- How are wildfires started? A look at the causes of some of the worst in California history
- Safety tips to remember when returning home after wildfire
- How to prepare your pets in case of disaster
- The difference between containing and controlling a wildfire