The fire broke out Saturday night at a carport outside a house on East Ann Avenue near Milton.
Firefighters did their best to keep the flames from spreading to the inside of the home, but there was some smoke and water damage to one room. Fire officials say quick thinking by neighbors helped them contain the fire quickly.
"The family was not home. They were in the vicinity attending a neighborhood gathering. Other neighbors were close by and called 911," Battalion Chief Chris Bump said.
No injuries were reported but a family pet died the fire. The blaze is now under investigation but officials say it does not appear to be suspicious.