The fire broke out around 7 p.m. Monday at a home near First and Shields. Firefighters believe the fire started in the home's attic, then quickly spread across the roof.
The people inside made it out of the home before firefighters arrived, but firefighters did have to rescue several pets, including a kitten and two dogs. Firefighters said they had to tear apart the entire roof to put out the fire.
The cause is unknown, but firefighters say it appeared to have started near the home's fireplace. They are stressing the importance of properly maintaining and using fireplaces, now that the weather is getting colder.