- 2 (0.25-ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 3/4 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 1/2 cups bread flour, divided
- 1 (6-ounce) package dried apricots, finely chopped
- 1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in lukewarm water for 5 minutes. Add milk, butter, egg, granulated sugar, salt, and 2 cups flour; beat until thoroughly mixed. Add remaining 2-1/2 cups flour and beat until a stiff batter forms. Place dough in a resealable plastic bag and refrigerate 2 hours or overnight.
- In a medium saucepan, combine apricots, crushed pineapple with its liquid, brown sugar, and 3/4 cup water. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Continue cooking for 10 to 15 minutes, until liquid is absorbed and filling reaches spreading consistency. Let cool.
- Divide dough into two equal pieces. On a lightly flour surface, roll each piece into a 15" x 8" rectangle. Place each rectangle on a greased baking sheet.
- Spread half the filling down center of dough. Cut slits in dough one inch apart lengthwise down each side of filling. Fold strips at an angle across filling, alternating from side to side.
- Cover and let rise at room temperature until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake braids 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden; cool.
Makes 2 braided breads.
Dust with confectioners' sugar, if desired.