Our Country Kitchen Broccoli Cheese Soup starts with an easy roux, just like a restaurant chef would make. And after you taste this creamy homemade soup and realize how easy it is to prepare, you'll never go out for homemade soup again.
Cooking Time: 45 min
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 2 broccoli heads, trimmed and chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup (1/2 pint) heavy cream
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
- In a small bowl, combine butter and flour; set aside.
- In a soup pot, combine broth, broccoli, onion, and pepper; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 25 to 30 minutes, or until broccoli is tender.
- Add butter mixture, stirring until soup has thickened. Slowly stir in heavy cream, mixing well. Add cheese, 1 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition, until cheese is melted.
Serve the soup in bread bowls that you make by cutting a circle out of the top of kaiser rolls and hollowing them out. Ladle the soup into the bread bowls and garnish with additional shredded Cheddar cheese.