FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Several fire engines and police officers responded to the building near 7th and Vine Streets around 7 p.m. on Saturday. They evacuated residents within a two block radius as a precaution because ammonia can cause burning of the nose, throat, and respiratory tract.
An evacuation center was set up at Fowler High School as crews worked to fix the leak. They say it was coming from an agricultural facility that is no longer occupied.
"It's a tank and valve assembly, and over time gaskets break and that's what appears to have happened here, so the ammonia is leaking past the valve and into the room and escaping the building into the neighborhood," said Batt. Chief Michael Bowman, Fresno County Fire Department.
Crews were working to shut off the leak and make sure it's safe before allowing residents to return to the area. null
More TOP STORIES News