Fresno Fair E-Coli Poisoning Lawsuit Far From Over

FRESNO, Calif.

Six-year-old Angela Malos walked into a Fresno courtroom and showed the judge her leg braces and an insert for a drinking tube she uses because of ongoing injuries related to e-coli poisoning.

Five years ago, she became critically ill with a severe strain of e-coli after visiting the Big Fresno Fair. Last week, the fair settled a lawsuit by agreeing to pay Malos $2.2-million dollars.

The child's family is also suing the company that provided the petting zoo. An attorney for the petting zoo says his client has not admitted liability, however both sides agree there should be a settlement from the zoo's insurance company.

Defense Attorney David Petrie said, "It's just a sad case the defense heart goes out to young Angela and her family are we are very sorry for what happened."

The insurance company for Great American Petting Zoo has denied the claim. But Petri says there is a strong possibility of additional lawsuits against the insurance company.

Copyright © 2021 KFSN-TV. All Rights Reserved.