- 2 to 2-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 1 medium-sized green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 (15-ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons light or dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 sandwich or hamburger buns, split
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef, onion, and green bell pepper over medium-high heat for 7 to 9 minutes; drain off excess liquid.
- Add remaining ingredients; mix well. Reduce heat to low and simmer 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve over buns.
For extra zing, add 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce.