Cooking Time: 1 hr 45 min
What You'll Need:
- 1 (4- to 6-pound) boneless beef rib eye or Delmonico roast
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 cup dry red wine or water
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large roasting pan, place beef fat side up.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients except wine; mix well. Rub spice blend evenly over surface of meat.
- Place a meat thermometer so that tip is centered in roast. Roast beef about 25 minutes per pound, or until thermometer reaches 140 degrees for medium-rare, or to desired doneness.
- Remove pan from oven and transfer beef to a cutting board; let stand 15 to 20 minutes to rest. Meanwhile, add red wine to pan. Stir to loosen any particles and return to oven 5 minutes. Once beef is done resting, carve against the grain and serve with pan drippings.
Note: Our Test Kitchen likes to add a couple of tablespoons of peppercorns to the pan before returning sauce to the oven for the last 5 minutes.