Cooking Time: 1 hr 15 min
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 cup sweet red wine
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat baking sheets with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine butter, wine, and granulated sugar until well blended. Add baking powder, salt, flour, and vanilla; mix until well blended.
- With a rolling pin, roll out the dough onto a floured board to a 1/4-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch cookie cutter, cut out cookies then place on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake 15 to 18 minutes. Let cookies cool for 5 minutes.
- Shake a few cookies at a time in a plastic bag with the confectioners' sugar until well coated.
Makes about 5 dozen biscuits.
Any wine will work in this recipe, but we recommend a sweet red wine